(Insert person here) has just called and will be coming over to your place in half an hour. After hanging up the phone you start to panic. Your apartment looks like a bomb just blew up. You have no idea where to start or what to do.
The first thing to do is remain calm. I have personally used this method many times before, including today! I do not only for guests but also when I feel like everything is too messy. I just have to mention this only lasts a short period of time as it more tidying than organizing. I also have a method that can help you if everything fails as a last-minute back-up plan.
- What is the minimum you have to do to make this space look tidy. You might not need to tidy your bedroom (unless you will be spending time in there for reasons unknown).
- Close off all the areas that your guest wont see.
- Open a window if possible to get lots of fresh air in.
- Remove all clothing items. Dirty ones in a pile on the floor in an unused room or laundry hamper. Clean clothes can be put on the bed.
- Remove all trash. Carry around a garbage bag. When all the trash is removed close the bag and put it the trash or an unused room.
- Unload then load the dishwasher if needed. Put hand washing in the sink. (yes the sink will look messy, but in my opinion better than dirty dishes on all the counters).
- Remove all other items lying around. Stuff them in other rooms or cupboards etc.
- Quick dusting of all surfaces.
- Vacuum. Nothing makes a tidy space look nastier than dust bunnies all over the floor.
- Light a scented candle, put on perfume and some nice clothes.
- Do some last-minute touch-ups before the doorbell rings.
Of course I cannot tell you the exact steps to take because it will vary depending on what your home looks like. I would like to mention that after this is done you have a perfect opportunity to start organizing one space at a time. I will tell you more about that in my next post.
I read somewhere long ago about a lady that had a house was a mess. She looked out the window and saw their pastor walking up the sidewalk. She quickly placed her vacuum cleaner on the middle of the floor and when the doorbell rang the pastor thought she was in the middle of spring cleaning.
I don’t know where I read it the first time, but I googled and found it on Living on a Dime. I apparently forgot that she quickly, she tied on an apron and a scarf around her hair and before answering the door. Which makes more sence.