Cosmo is a female dog and she does get in heat. I always knew I wanted to sew underwear for her to wear at home. I did have an extremely difficult time finding out how I could make dog panties. I have made both panties and boxer shorts for her. Today I will show how I made the panties and my next post will show how to make boxer shorts.
I made these panties when she went in heat for the first time. They were extremely simple to make and use. You buy cheap cheap panties liners and put them in the panties. Put the panties on your dog and you are good to go!
I had some spare fabric that I used to make these panties with. I used a dark, quite heavy, knit fabric. I also used some elastic band.
- Pre-wash fabric – use the same settings as when you will wash the used panties.
- measure the waist of your dog. I used the elastic band, but you could also use a measuring tape. To make sure it will stay in place I tightened the band slightly. Make sure it is not too tight. Sew it together to form a circle.
- Measure from your elastic band and around the other way on your dog.
- From measurements in step two, cut out a rectangle in your fabric.
- Sew the two shortest ends of your fabric to the elastic band.
- Cut a slit for the tail in the fabric.
- Try on your dog and make proper adjustments. Cut access fabric around the edges if needed.
- Make a few more.
My finished product:
I think the best feature is that it can be put right in the wash. We wash in on 60 degrees with our own underwear. However, we did have some problems that our dog ripped out the panty liners. This is why I thought we would need a plan B. Check out my next post for the Dog Boxer Shorts!
I just have to point our that I have only tried this on my 6 kg (13 pound) dog, I can’t say for certain it will work for bigger or smaller dogs.