As you might know I have fallen in love with my new maxi dress! I decided I wanted to create a maxi skirt as well.
Please note this tutorial is only for people with a less curves (I don’t, so my finish product was too big for my waist and just right around my thighs). At the end I will show you how I will create my maxi skirt next time, for something that will better fit my hour-glass figure.
This tutorial is based of this one from Watch Out For The Woestmans.
For people with less curves
Measurements: (I will be using these, you have to use your own measurements)
Waist/2 = 40cm
Waist to floor = 100cm
Fabric width / 2 = 72.5cm
1. Cut 100 cm fabric
2. Fold in half, then fold in half again (this makes sure you have two equal pieces.
3. Measure (40/2) 20 cm
4. Cut fabric
5. Lay out so you have two pieces on top of each other (with the correct side of the fabric facing inwards)
6. Pin and sew together (skirt finished)
7. Cut out a 80 x 30 cm strip
8. Fold in half (40 x 30 cm), pin and sew.
9. Take the waistband inside the skirt and sew around the ends.
I pinned it and tried it on. I must have gotten some measurements wrong or something because it was too big around the waist. I had to sew in the waistband with probably 6-7 cm on each side as well as sew in the waist at the side and two in the front. Remember this will not be visible due to the waistband.
10. This is what it looked like when unfolded:
11. Flip waistband to the outside and wear with pride!
For people with curves (and me):
Dress: I would create two pieces with a waist of 50 cm, and sew three in the front and two in the back, each pinching in 6 cm of fabric. I would also pinch them the other way, to it looked nicer on the inside than the outside.
Waistband: I would create the waistband 70 x 40 cm. It needs to be tighter to hold up the skirt and I want a thicker band.
And I want pockets!!
New tutorial will be coming
What do you do when you are following a tutorial and end up with something that just doesn’t work? Do you try to fix it, just give up or do something else? I would love to see if anyone had a similar tutorial for ideas to make my next maxi skirt better.